Can you believe summer’s almost over? As you and your child stock up on school supplies and start changing sleeping schedules, you’ll also want to keep dental health and hygiene at the top of your mind.
Here are simple ways to keep your child’s smile at its best once school is in session:
- Put a small toothbrush and toothpaste in your child’s backpack to use after lunch
- Fill the lunch box with nutritious, dental-friendly foods like apples, celery, yogurt and milk
- Pack a water bottle instead of juice to limit sugar intake and oral bacteria growth
- Have a mouthguard ready to protect your child’s smile during sports and gym activities
In addition, you will want to steer clear of these dental hazards:
- Opening packages with your teeth,which can lead to chipped or broken teeth
- Chewing on pens, pencils, fingernails or ice, which can cause your teeth to crack
- Mouth and/or lip piercings, that can cause tooth damage as well as harbor bacteria
- Medicinal cough drops and lozenges that are just as sugar-laden as candy
It may also be easier to get your child’s dental check-up completed before the first school bell rings. If it’s been some time since your child’s last visit, schedule an appointment today by calling 803-661-8412.