Garners Ferry Dentistry is now offering dental implants. Most general dentists in Columbia, SC would require a separate visit to a specialist to insert the implant post. However, we can now do this procedure in our office.
Some questions you may be asking:
- What are dental implants for? They allow for natural looking replacement teeth to replace teeth that have been removed.
- How do they accomplish this? Implants consist of metal posts that are surgically placed into the jaw bone where natural teeth have been removed. Our dentist will be able to affix an artificial tooth (typically a crown) to the post that will give the appearance of a natural looking smile.
- Will my insurance cover it? Some dental insurance plans now cover some of the implant cost. We can contact your insurance company and get an estimate of any portion they may cover.
- How long does it take? The implant procedure takes multiple stages.
- The first stage is to surgically place the implant post into the jawbone. It typically takes at least three months for the bone to heal and develop around the implant to securely hold it in place.
- Depending on the artificial tooth type (for example, an implant crown), there may be one or two extra appointments to complete the procedure. The final steps include putting the artificial tooth type on the post.
- Do I need to do anything else once the artificial tooth is placed on the implant? Like natural teeth, the implant will require periodic oral care and you will still need to visit the dentist regularly. If you ever have any issues or concerns, you will want to contact your dental office immediately.
If you have any interest or questions about dental implants, please contact our Columbia, SC dental team as soon as possible.